GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Human Resources Coordinator is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: staffing, benefits administration, employee relations, training, safety, policy implementation, and employment law compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for staffing of open positions by: meeting with manager at the outset to learn about position & desired candidate, placing employment ads, screening resumes, performing initial phone interviews, making recommendations re applicants to hiring manager, scheduling & participating in interviews, drafting offer letters, performing reference & background checks, & drafting acceptance letters.
- Internal posting of open positions. Schedule internal interviews.
- Response letters to external applicants not selected.
- Maintain metrics on recruiting venues for effectiveness for each position.
- Maintain applicant files.
- Meet with new employees to complete paperwork, review handbook & review benefits, give safety tour of building.
- Process new employee paperwork.
- Work with manager to ensure employee workspace is set up.
- Set up personnel files.
- Update employee handbooks as requested.
- Provide recommendations for handbook updates based on changes in employment law.
- Responsible for securing signed receipt pages from all employees.
- Process benefit enrollments, changes & terminations with the appropriate carriers.
- Responsible for all associated paperwork including COBRA.
- Audit monthly benefit statements.
- Wellness initiatives.
- Handle NYS disability benefits’ claims.
- Work with HR Manager in filing and handling Worker’s Compensation claims.
- Handle & process all FMLA leave requests and leaves.
- Ensure all relevant paperwork is completed, processed & maintained.
PAID FAMILY LEAVE
- Process PFL claims.
- Process exiting employee paperwork including separation letters, internal checklists.
- Conduct exit interviews. Advise HR Manager of suggested changes resulting from exit interviews.
- Facilitate & participate in annual evaluation process.
- Follow up with managers to ensure completion of 30 & 90 day new hire/transfer evaluations.
- Process internal transfers – ensure completion of final evaluation in old position & 30 & 90 day evaluations in new position, ensure employee workspace is set up.
- Maintain personnel files.
- Maintain I-9 files. Perform I-9 audits, as needed.
- Write & update job descriptions as needed.
- Draft monthly Newsletter.
- Draft & conduct biannual Road Staff survey of Scheduling.
- Participate in Annual Kick Off Meeting. Assist in preparing the HR segments of the meeting.
- Conduct & facilitate safety training.
- Safety committee participation and safety initiatives.
SKILLS AND ABILITLIES REQUIRED:
- Strong communication skills, particularly business writing, verbal, phone & email; good presentation skills.
- Ability to participate in group meetings.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to develop, foster & maintain positive relationships in order to further business objectives.
- Outstanding time management, organizational & administrative skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize & multi-task.
- Self-motivated, self-starter.
- Detail oriented.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Two to five years’ experience in Human Resources.
- HR Certification a plus.